Monday, November 10, 2008

Pops and the urine tests

Work kept me from updating this month. It’s such a crazy time especially this year and I have been saddled with more work and responsibility than I could handle. It’s always nice to come home to my furry babies who are my ‘spirit lifters’ with their cute faces.

Poppy’s still healthy and playful despite having to now go to the vet once every 2 weeks for urine test so that we can monitor his kidney development closely.

However, it takes a lot to get urine out of Poppy. For a mummy, it’s never easy to see someone press on your kitty’s bladder to force the urine out. Poppy would be screaming, kicking like a donkey, all in protest of being handled in such an undignified manner.

And all I could do is to cajole him softly while the vet tries his best to get the much needed urine out.

Last week, Poppy went to the vet and there was not enough urine to run a full test.

Imagine the frustration for me and also for the fang face.

My vet said this week “Why don’t I give you the jar and if you see Poppy going to the kitty litter, quickly push the jar underneath him to collect the pee…”

I looked at him. Huh?

Poppy’s not an easy cat.

He would never allow me to do so. This is one cat who doesn’t like people coming up towards or behind him, would run away before you can hold or cuddle him.

Poppy would only come to you on his own accord.

So, imagine me trying to sneak up behind him to swoop the jar underneath his furry body to get pee.

Hmmmm…has anyone every done that?

“Poppy squats very low onto the kitty sand” was my other explanation to my vet.

Sigh.

Personally, getting urine from a cat is so stressful.

Poppy hates it – he scolds the vet.

Small tyke likes to scold people.

I am sorry Poppy has to go through this but he’s such a tough cookie.

Whenever I stare at the little fang face, I am impressed by how tough he is.

He has so many stones in both his kidneys and a huge one to boot and by any standards, should be in kitty heaven but he’s still holding on.

And he looks so unaffected. So adorable and so loving still.

But everyday, I wake up with slight trepidation that things will suddenly change.

I have heard of cats going to bed healthy and the next day, almost at verge of death.

Poppy’s always in my mind at work.

The locked door holds so many what ifs.

I am happy when the door to our apartment creaks open to reveal Poppy’s naughty face looking at me when I come home.

Or whenever daddy meow is home earlier than me (which is usually the norm), I would ask how are the boys.

At this moment, Poppy’s last urine reading had been quite positive. No signs of further kidney deterioration. I am happy, for now.

He still chases MeowMeow around and pokes his busy body face into everything.

Here’s MeowMeow looking outside.

And here’s Poppy sticking his face into MeowMeow’s view.

So naughty.

I read that encouraging your kitty to drink more water can help.

Not help by magically making the kidney stones disappear, but help to prevent more stones from forming.

One of the way is to put more bowls of water at various corners at home.

I used to have only one at the kitchen area.

Now I have 4 in my apartment.

One in the kitchen, one nearby their kitty litter, one near where Poppy sleeps and one near the window which both cats like to sit to watch the world go by.

Cats are curious creatures as well as quite lazy and can go without water for a long time.

Put one bowl nearby them and they would be motivated to drink more versus a bowl far away. Especially MeowMeow, the fat lard who would just sit and sleep all day.

Poppy would check out each bowl and drink from each one.

I guess it worked – he’s been drinking more water lately.

And so has MeowMeow.

The only thing is that I have to wash and refill 4 bowls everyday.

I guess that’s about the most exercise I get these days anyway, so no complains.

Do so too if you wish, it's good for your cats to drink more.

11 comments:

Everycat said...

This pee collecting thing is a pain It does hurt when they express the pee manually.

Ask your vet for some non absorbant litter (the one we use in the UK is called KatKor) put it in Poppy's usual tray with no other litter. When he pees in it you can collect the pee with a syringe and put it in a container to take to the vet (get both from the vet). If your vet is just doing a stick test with Poppy's urine fortnightly, then you could also do that yourself at home. Ask the vet for some test sticks and a container with the guide values on them. The guides are colour blocks that you match the stick again. The vet can tell you what to look out for in the results that might mean Poppy needs a vet visit.

KatKor info here: http://www.katkor.com/english/indexe.html

Best of luck to you and purrs to Poppy!

Everycat said...

PS: Katkor is reusable, just rinse for a few minutes in cold water. Also you need to keep a close eye on the tray to ensure no one poops in it as this will spoil the urine sample. Three bags of Katkor usually is enough litter to convince a cat it is litter and use it!

mummymeow said...

Hey Everycat,
Thanks for the tip! I have never heard of KatKor but i will visit the site soon. It's great if they have it. The thing is , i have another cat meowmeow, i hope i don't mix up the urines!

But thank you very much!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I am just like you I worry to as I hurry home to my babies wondering will they all be at the door to greet me,especially my darling little manxie. I have started bringing the water bowl to her to get her to drink more and she is so happy. You should see her, I do it for her after she eats and she knows and it has now become our ritual. YOU CAN BRING A CAT TO WATER. :-)

Goodness I wish you vet had told you about the katkor....

purrs,
Abby

The Island Cats said...

We're sorry Poppy has to go through all this...at least he remains in good spirits!

Mom has used that method of collecting urine on the cats that came before us....holding a container under them while they peed...it's not easy, but it did work. She said Bogart use to look at her like she was crazy when she did this...but he never stopped peeing...the trick is to get them when they have started...

More water is good...also canned food is better than dry...you can add water to the canned food for added moisture.

We hope Poppy continues to do well. You sound like a good cat-mom!

Ellen Whyte said...

glad to hear Poppy is still feeling good - except for being stalked by crazy pee collector!

Moki The Wobbly Cat said...

Everycat made a great recommendation. Just make sure to throughly clean out the litter box before replacing the litter with Katkor, otherwise you may spoil the sample.

mummymeow said...

Hi everyone,
thanks for the tips! I have asked my vet about KatKor but he said he is not aware! I guess it's Malaysia. Half of the things u have, we don't. Sigh. Anyway, i will be checking this out further, perhaps i can buy it online....worse comes to worse, do it like Island Cat's mom - collect pee the natural way...wonder how Poppy will react to it.

Luv u all for dropping by, sorry i don't have the time to drop by your blogs personally. Will do so soon, bye!

numin said...

Somehow I seem to see more fur on the beds nowadays then before...

mummymeow said...

That's cos i want to spend every minute i can with the boys, even in bed.

Tesla and Hansel said...

thank you so much for thinking of tesla during our hard time! We're still not completely better, but we're on the right track! thank you so much!