Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cat and jealousy

I found early videos of Poppy.
When I got Poppy, Meowzers was outraged - at me.
He would growl and hiss and won’t let me touch him.
I think he felt betrayed and unloved.
I was thinking, oh no, what have I done?
Jealousy is bigger in cats than dogs.
I had to keep the two cats apart.
Poppy was kept in the guest room for 1 month or so and I allowed Meowz to come in to visit with my supervision.
He would cautiously creep into the room, sniff around and sniff Poppy from afar.
Sometimes Meowz would go ‘hrrmmph’ before he strode out of the room with his tail erect.
Eventually, when I felt Meowz’ anger had simmered down, I let Poppy out.
Meowz didn’t like it, but he was more accepting then.
At least he didn’t growl or hiss anymore.
And he let me touch and hug him again.
Mummy was forgiven.
One thing that probably allowed Meowzers to accept the brown one was that Poppy never fought back in the earlier days.
Whenever Meowzers swat his paw at Poppy, the brown fuzz would pull back, not charge forward.
He gave Meowzers face.
That probably worked.
If Poppy was fierce and possessive back then, I don’t think it would have worked well.
He was just a small, bumbling little cat, who saw the orange one as a big brother.
This is a clip of when Meowzers is still quite possessive but trying to accept Poppy.
They are not the best buds in the world, but at least they both tolerate each other.
At least, in front of me.
Don't know how they are with each other when I am not around...hmmm..



No comments: