Saturday, October 18, 2008

My decision

After seeing quite a number of vets, I finally settled on the one nearest to my house.
The decision is not to operate.
The odds of failure are too high.
Vets who I have spoken with says it's too big of a risk.
One even said if it's bladder stones, it's no problemo - but not kidney stones.

I decided to re-visit the usual vet i go to last week which led to the reason why I chose another vet closer to my house.
Apparently this is quite a well known doctor in the veterinary community.
Whose staff had been treating Poppy since baby.
It is one of his vet who told me that I should operate but told me that Poppy may die.
But also told me that if i didn't operate, he only has a few months to live.
And no other information.
Which prompted me to seek many 2nd opinions from other vets.
Last Thursday, I went back to my vet but insisted I speak to the famous dr whose name is plastered on his clinic's signboard.
He looked at Poppy's x-rays.
And then he said in his 30 years, he has never seen a cat with such a kidney condition.
And that he has never treated a cat with kidney stones.
And then looked at me.
The whole consultation went like this : I asked him and he answered me one or two words.
If i didn't ask him, he would just stare at me.
Like as though he was waiting for me to ask.
In fact, whatever questions I asked him was based on my previous knowledge gathered from other vets' opinion and I was asking him on all the possibilities, treatments, diet...etc..
And he answered but offered nothing else.
At one point, I told him "Look, I am not learning anything from you...could you please tell me more?"
And then he just looked at me.
I felt like it was such a waste of time.
I am a normal person. I don't know vet stuff. But here I am, asking and talking about BUN and Creatinine and diet food and all he just did was answered one or two words and no further addition to that.
It was as though he was waiting for me to lead him with my questions and that's it.
No further insights, nothing.
It was frustrating. Even annoying to a point.
There could be more things I wouldn't know about and I couldn't lead the consultation by asking them cos I wouldn't know what to ask.
I kept asking him what is the next step.
And that took him a while to tell me.
He didn't even want to look at Poppy's ultrasound.
He just said, Poppy's an abnormal cat - buck tooth, signs of cataract, kidney stones.
And charged me consultation fees for his zero consultation.

It was raining when I left his clinic with Poppy.
Each droplet which fell on me felt so punishing, like needles.
That was the moment I decided, he will no longer be my vet.
I droved to the vet closest to my house and walked in with Poppy.
I was tired, without makeup, teary and wet from the rain. I went up to the vet and asked him "My cat has kidney stones. Are you willing to help me? If yes, I will stick with you".
He said yes. And he was willing to listen and give advice.
And that was it.
That's how I made my decision on who I want to help me with Poppy.

I believe now that the majority opinion is to avoid operation, I don't need a vet with 30 years of experience but none so in treating feline kidney stones.
Cos we now have accepted the fact that it will be a diet management.
To inhibit the growth of the stones to ensure that Poppy live as long as he can comfortably.
To do so, from what I have learned, it will be regular trips to the vet for bloodwork, urine tests, etc to monitor his kidneys.
And at later stage (which I pray won't come), I might need to bring Poppy weekly to the vet for treatments.
I have learned this from reading Tanya's site.

This has lead to my decision to go to a vet nearest to my house.
It's like 2 minutes away.
I do this to ensure that if ever there is an emergency, I am able to get Poppy to the vet as fast as possible.
But also, choosing a close by vet helps to lessen Poppy's stress on travelling. Cos he will be doing a lot of that.
And I believe, a vet who is more caring will be able to help Poppy more than a 30 year experienced vet who has an ego the size of a..... and has zero experience on feline kidney stones. And zero consultation skills.

Sorry for the vet bashing here but I do have a right to speak my mind.

Poppy's fine but there are signs of changes in personality.
But he still chases MeowMeow around and enjoys a good grooming session.

He is now in good hands.

14 comments:

Kaz's Cats said...

We've been following Poppy's story since the first news item on the Cat Blogosphere. We'd never heard of kidney stones in cats before we read about Poppy, but we're glad that you've gotten a lot of useful information, and that finally you've found that right vet to treat Poppy. Diet sounds like a good way to start helping Poppy. All we can do is purr and purray for Poppy and for you,

Purrs and {{kittyhugs}}

Gypsy & Tasha [with Kaz (Mum)]

mummymeow said...

Hi Kaz and Gypsy and Tasha,

Thank you for dropping by.As always, i really appreciate any form of positive comment, even if it's just a hi. Yes, cat kidney stones are uncommon. Sometimes I wish it's just the usual bladder stones instead of kidneys. But it's intended that way and I will make the best out of it.

I will drop by your blog soon ok?
Thank you and take care!

The Island Cats said...

I have no experience with a cat with kidney stones. I did have a cat that had crf. I am very familiar with Helen and her site. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience with that vet. Vets are like people doctors...there are good ones and bad ones. And having 30 years of experience doesn't always make them good. I'm glad you found a vet that you are comfortable with and will do the right thing for Poppy.

There's a yahoo group dedicated to cats with crf...maybe someone there has some experience with kidney stones that might help you? You can find it at
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-CRF-Support/

I hope you still have lots of time with Poppy.

Island Cats mom

Sweet Purrfections said...

I am so sorry that you have had such bad experiences with your vet. Is there a veterinary school close by that you could have a consult with?

Anonymous said...

We think you made an excellent decision to switch to another Vet. Mom has used many Vets over the last 35 years and has met some who practice Veterinary medicine but plainly don't care anything about the pets - or their Moms and Dads - or both. Mom can tell right away now whether or not she will trust a Vet with our care.

We do not like going to the Vets, but we love our 2 Vets that share a practice in our town! They even do all of their own emergency calls - no strange Vet who isn't familiar with us and our medical history, should something ever happen after office hours. Mom really loves that!

We are hoping for a positive outcome for Poppy and will keep purring.

Whimpurr said...

I'm glad you have found a vet that you feel comfortable with and confident in! I pray that Poppy gets the treatment he needs to live a good quality of life for many more years! ~Purrs~

mummymeow said...

Hi Island Cats,
Thank you for the group link. i think i saw that before but did not have time to join as i have to sign up for a yahoo email id. I have done so last night and will be joining the group soon. Thanks for the kind words.

mummymeow said...

Hi Sweet Praline,
There is a veterinary university and i went there already. But it's like almost 45 minutes from where i live and if there is traffic congestion, it's going to be really long to get there. They only open during the weekdays so....i guess it's not feasible. But thanks for the idea!

mummymeow said...

Thanks Gandalf and Grayson! Keep the fun going and appreciate each other's company as much as you can.

mummymeow said...

Thank you for the show of support Whimpurr. Appreciate it very much...

The Lee County Clowder said...

Sounds like that one V*T was just waiting for you to quit bothering him and leave. Not the dood we want working on us, for sure.

Hang in there, Poppy. We're all purrrrring for you.

mummymeow said...

Thank you Lee County Clowder. Hope all the kitties at your side is in good health too. Thanks for dropping by.

Ellen Whyte said...

Poor little Poppy. We're purring for you both.

And what an arsehole that vet is! I would have walked out. A man like that who obviously doesn't care shouldn't be treating animals. thank god there aren't many of that sort of vet about; the ones I've met are animal lovers like us.

We'r sorry you two are going through such a hard time. If you need something, email me?

mummymeow said...

Hi Ellen,
Thank you. I will if i need anything. I am glad you recommended me to Dr. Cheng as well, she gave a good prognosis and diet management recco to me which i had forwarded to my new vet. Thank you.