Wednesday, December 10, 2008

COT : The bell


Ting-a-ling noises in the living room woke me up last night.
It was past 1am.
I groaned inwardly, realising that the annoying ting-a-ling sounds are coming from a bell that had popped out of this feather-on-a-stick toy I had bought for the kitties.
That bell popped out when Poppy got too excited playing with the feathers and somehow got his claw stuck to the bell.
Poppy had yanked his claw too hard and the bell dropped off the stick and mysteriously vanished into thin air.
That was like a week ago.
Somehow, even when my maid came and did her once a week cleaning, vaccuming, the missing bell still did not resurface.
I didn't think so much about it until last night.
When the noises started in the wee hours of the morning while I was almost boarding the train to slumberland.

TING TING TING A LING....ting ting ting...cling ting ting! ting....tingtingtingtingting!!!
Poppy had somehow retreived the missing bell.
Where had it flew to when it popped out of the feather stick?
How come my maid didn't somehow suck it up during her vaccuming?
How did the brown naughty managed to find it?
Daddymeow thinks Poppy was hiding the bell in his thick fur all along.
If Poppy can hold poo in his fur and drop it off on the floor later, he can jolly well hide a bell in his fur as well to be brought out to play whenever he wants to.
Poppy's fur is full of mysterious surprises.
Or so we thought.

The wretched, grating noises continued in the living room.
I imagined Poppy running around, pawing at the bell as he goes.
He likes that.
Only problem was I was desperately trying to sleep as I needed to wake up by 5.45am to catch a flight.
Poppy was relentless.
Ting-cling-ting ting tingTINGTING!!
I sighed, and tried to block the persistent noises while reassuring myself that after a few minutes, it would all be silent.
Cos Poppy would always end up pawing his noisy playthings under the sofa where it would just stay there till the maid comes over to dig it out for him.
I waited for the imminent silence.
CLINGCLINGCLING!
I waited somemore.
TINGCLINGTING!!!
??? This imminent silence was taking longer than usual.
Poppy Beckham would not let up and somehow, of all the days, seemed to be controlling the bell quite well, avoiding all nooks and crannies that would trap it.
I heard pounding paws on wood floor.
The final straw came when the bell hit the bedroom door rudely.
Poppy must have chased and pawed it all the way to the bedroom door. I heard his paws scrapping on the door's underside, perhaps trying to paw the bell out.
That's when i kicked daddy meow out of the bed to get the wretched bell.
He came in a second later and mumbled something about the boys not being happy about him confiscating the bell.
Party pooper daddy meow.
And that it was not only Poppy, but MeowMeow as well who was chasing the bell.
MeowMeow hardly plays with anything anymore ever since he became an old grumpy cat.
And there he was, playing 'football' with Poppy Beckham in the living room.
No wonder it was so noisy.
I paw, you paw. We paw paw all night long.
Poppy Beckham and Maradona MeowMeow.

I laughed myself to sleep thinking of their disappointed furry faces at the bell being taken away.
Where is the bell today?
Well, it was on the study table inside the bedroom.
Poppy came in and started pawing it on the bedroom floor.
Within less than a minute, the bell was under the table and there is no way of getting it out unless I take a long stick to push it out.
Now, why didn't that happened last night?
Cos life's like that.
But we love the kitties all the same.

4 comments:

Dianna said...

Usually bells, small mice, little balls and the like last all of 30 seconds before the find a home under something. I suppose I should move the sectional again sometime soon and retrieve the toys lost under there...

Everycat said...

That's so funny. Cats are persistent, they won't give up if they know something is "theirs". The bell is a great thing if it's got Meowmeow playing again. Definately, buy more bells!

Hehe

Whicky

Gattina said...

Hahaha ! what a nice football team you have and then with top stars !! I think I would have jumped out of my bed, confiscate the ball and jump back in my bed. In our house no door is closed (except the one of the guest bathroom) our cats hate closed doors and would scratch them into pieces. And honnestly I don't like closed doors either, lol !

numin said...

The cats do hate closed doors.. interestingly, Poppy is a PUSHER, and meowmeow is a PULLER. If we hear that our door is being pushed, we know who is at the door.